Ranger Up Is Hiring: Graphic Designer
Job Function: Ranger Up Creative Team-Graphic Artist
Status: Full-time, Exempt
Location: Durham, NC
Primary Job Purpose/Summary:
Your primary role will be working with the design team producing creative works for Ranger Up. A typical day will involve participating in critiques, idea generation, execution of sketches and finished art, and assisting the design team in the day to day running of the creative department. The ideal candidate is creative and critical thinker who hustles and wants to learn more. You need to be a person who works hard and is willing to learn new things and accept new responsibilities. If you were the quick sketching artist that always had their portfolios completed on time, you might just be the droid we’re looking for. As with any small business, you’ll wear many hats and take part in many different functions. Quality work is rewarded aggressively.
Essential Duties/Responsibilities (Other duties may be assigned):
Our policy is that no task is too big or too small for anyone in the company. While most employees have military backgrounds, we have a very egalitarian structure and on busy days, the CEO, COO and managers will be out on the floor helping fold shirts and pick packages just like anyone else. Employees that feel they are too good for any task will not succeed here, and will likely end up as a hilarious cautionary tale.
Our policy in the creative department is that the fluid exchange of ideas and acting on those ideas visually will drive the company forward in creating exciting new content that will push the envelope forward. We want every artist that starts a position in our department to know more six months later than they did coming in and to continue in that fashion through the future with the Company.
Regardless of the aforementioned statement, your job will entail:
- Designing and finalizing artwork for T-Shirts, Hoodies, Accessories, Advertisements and other creative jobs.
- Preparing final art files for printers and product partners.
- Participating in group constructive critiques of work and bringing fresh ideas to the attention of the creative department.
- Meeting deadlines assigned at the onset of a new assigned project.
- Good attention to detail and focus to ensure the proper colors, compositions and placement of visual art.
- Excellent verbal communication skills. We like people who can communicate effectively with others.
- Fundamental or advanced skills in Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Excel, Word, etc.
- Ability to work in a team environment as a positive contributor. We’re a really tight knit organization and we have a lot of fun and we don’t want anyone urinating in our proverbial Cheerios. We hire people to solve problems, not make them.
- Freehand illustration of concepts and ideas. The ideal candidate will have the ability work in a graphic design component but also from a digital freehand perspective.
- Ability to draw the basic human figure and objects so they are readily recognizable.
- You have to genuinely believe in giving back to the military, LEO, Fire, and First Responder communities. If you don’t believe it, we will know. And we’ll tell your Mom.
Knowledge in Video Editing software, Experience in video production foundations such as lighting, equipment and rendering, Ability to integrate Wacom Tablets into your work, knowledge of social media platforms and content appropriate for these areas.
Minimum Physical Abilities (with or w/o reasonable accommodation):
- Attendance in our warehouse and offices located in Durham, NC
- Able to perform standard computer keyboard functions
- Ability to see / read standard 21” computer screen
Salary and Benefits
Salary starts at entry level for people with baseline qualifications ($26,000). Higher starting salaries are available for particularly impressive candidates with specific skillsets that are valuable to the Company who are able to convince us that they are particularly impressive candidates with specific skillsets that are valuable to the Company.
After 90 days of employment (the grace period), employees will be provided with:
1) Health Insurance with Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The company provides a top PPO plan and pays 75% of the cost.
2) Dental Insurance with Blue Cross/Blue Shield. The company provides their top plan and pays 75% of the cost.
3) Individual Retirement Account. The company matches the first 3% of salary.
4) Bonus: Bonuses are tied to company and individual goals set forth each year.
In addition to those benefits, the company has an in house gym, including mats for those who enjoy jujitsu/wrestling/yoga and heavy bags for kickboxing, as well as the usual assortment of weights and cardio machines, as well as functional fitness tools.
At Ranger Up we wear gym shorts and t-shirts every day of the year. The only time we expect an employee in business attire is when they show up to interview for a job (bangs foot on the ground three times).
Opportunity for Advancement
We are growing wicked fast, have enjoyed double or triple digit growth every year since 2006, and landed in the top 1000 of all American Online Retailers three years in a row with no sign of slowing down. Virtually all employees have been promoted from the ground up. If you are an amazing employee that makes a big difference for us, we’ll give you more responsibility and more pay.
How to Apply
This job focuses on creativity and new ideas so we aren’t going to give you the blueprint for how to get hired. At a minimum we need you:
1) Send us your Resume.
2) Send us your cover letter detailing why you think you are the perfect fit for this job.
3) Provide us with a list of at least three references that will help you put your best foot forward.
4) Send us No less than 15 but no more than 20 of your best artworks in standard JPEG. format. Keep in mind the larger the images the better we can gauge the work. A 100×100 72 DPI work is too small!
Beyond that, do whatever you think you need to do to show us that we need to hire you. This may seem like a lot of work for a job application. The right person will see this as an opportunity. If this seems like too much work, don’t apply!
Send your application package to [email protected] with the subject line: Artist Position
About Ranger Up
Ranger Up is the premium military brand in the world with accounts on every continent but Antarctica (but we’re working on it). We are currently in the Top 1000 retail companies in the Nation. In 2007, we launched a Patriotic Brand named Unapologetically American. In 2008, we launched what is now the largest military blog: The Rhino Den. In 2011, we launched the first American Rugby Brand: American Sin Bin. In 2012, we launched a largely inappropriate military cartoon known called The Damn Few as well as a new Vetrepreneurial initiative to give back to our community and build a new generation of military entrepreneurs. We are founded, owned, and operated by military veterans. We do not operate a politically correct work environment. We are huge fans of the Constitution, bacon and dogs.