Cooking with Tim Kennedy
Thanks to our friends at MiddleEasy.com for this.
Ranger school is one of the most physically and mentally demanding schools in the U.S. Military. The RI’s (Ranger Instructors) push you far beyond your limits. Some of the tools that they use are sleep deprivation, negative reinforcement (screaming at you/making your low crawl or digging your own personal grave), and pushing you into a calorie deficit. This calorie deficit is what really bothered me. See, I’m a fat kid trapped in an athlete’s body. While my Ranger buddies thought about warm sunny beaches or the arms of their loving spouses, I thought about food. I not only thought about it. I wrote about it. Thinking up some of the recipes that I’ll share with you here. On the back page of my Ranger Bible you might find a cheese fondue recipe, and on the inside sleeve of my Write In The Rain field journal you will find this recipe:
Thai Shrimp Pizza
What you will need for 2 pizzas
• 2 thin pizza crusts (you can make it yourself but I just buy them)
• ½ cup of crunchy Peanut Butter
• 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon Teriyaki sauce
• 1 pinch of Oregano
• 1 pinch of Red Pepper
• 1 pinch of Garlic Salt
• 1 pinch of Basil
• ¼ teaspoon of fish sauce
• Sriracha sauce
• Red Pepper
• 2 cups Mozzarella cheese
• 1 cup Cheddar cheese
• Green or white onions
• Julienne cut carrots
• 1 lbs clean, de-veined, de-tailed shrimp.
• ¼ cup General Tso’s sauce
• Pre-heat oven to 350.
• Oil bottom of pizza crust set on pizza pan and set aside.
• Combine ½ cup of crunchy Peanut Butter, 1 tablespoon Soy sauce, 1 tablespoon Teriyaki sauce, 1 pinch of Oregano, 1 pinch of Garlic Salt, 1 pinch of Basil, ¼ teaspoon of fish sauce, and Sriracha sauce with red pepper to taste. Mix it together till it’s smooth with a pizza sauce consistency. If need be add more soy or teriyaki sauce or even water to thin it out. Then spread evenly across pizza crust.
• Cook shrimp separately in non stick pan and glaze with General Tso’s sauce.
• Add Cheese, then Carrots, then Cilantro, and onions on top of crust. Finally add the shrimp on top of everything else.
• Bake for 20 minutes of until all cheese is melted and bottom of pizza is golden brown.
Enjoy but stay angry my friends.